Annons:
Tagtravel
Read 1491 times
Leia
2018-10-30 19:51

Travel vs Career

This video couldn't come at a better time for me, come May 2019 I will have finished my 4 years at university. A lot of my friends who only did three years are now starting amazing careers, taking advantage of teacher training grants or obtaining a masters.

I need to start making the decision on whether I should do the same or packing up everything and leave to see the world!  Apart of me feels like I'd be taking a step backwards from graduating with a first to moving back home while I save money. How will it feel to come back after travelling and seeing all your friends that progressed to the top of the career while you're now at the bottom?

This video offers a really good argument to follow your dreams and may be the motivation you need to take the plunge to buy that one way ticket!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Tammie
2018-10-31 05:33

She does make some very good points. I think that you can have that dream job and travel when you have a holiday.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Max
2019-01-16 04:17

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping up with your friends. In a year or two they won't have got so far on a typical career path. Of you end up with a job where there is a specific graduate intake you tend to associate with and compare yourself to your cohort whether you started a year later or not. If you have the inclination to travel I would do so. Once you are working, it's usually difficult to get breaks of more than 2 weeks in most jobs at least in the UK. If you get an inclination to take a longer sabbatical at some point it is also difficult to find the right time from a career perspective and doubly difficult if you have a relationship or family to juggle with. As to where to go. As I'm sure you know there is a traditional gap year route for British youngsters. Fly out to Thailand, eat alot of banana pancakes, do a circuit around SEA, maybe Bali, off to Oz Byron Bay job in a bar, hang around Fiji with no money left, LA then home. It sounds hackneyed but to be fair my daughter recently did something like this and had an amazing time. Personally I think there is merit in getting a little away from the mainstream back packer crowd and checking out some more exotic locations like Rajesthan Tibet, Sulewesi. I'm also a big fan of travel in Africa. Anyhow if you decide to go for it and need some advice just let me know, I have done 3 RTW trips and ran a RTW discussion email group for about 10 years. I would also say that the world is changing fast, homogenising and the scope for adventure is reducing. People who see it with fresh eyes still seem to come back enthused and amazed but for old timers it's certainly not how it was. (I'm sure the (very few) people in the generation of travellers before me would have said the same about my trips.). The point is if one leaves it say 15 years, the world may be very different and not nearly as exciting.

Leia
2019-01-17 10:46

#2 That is sound and thought-provoking advice. I am definitely looking into doing a working holiday visa in Australia so I can earn some money while I travel and therefore allow me to travel for longer. I know Australia is renowned for backpacking so I feel that would be great starting pointing to learn the basics and then move on to more exotic places once I'm comfortable with getting around more. 

You make a great point about how things may be different in a few years down the line, for instance, the twelve apostles in Australia won't be there forever, in 2005 one of the stacks fell.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Max
2019-01-17 11:44

#2 Probably the biggest factor of all is the Chinese. In Asia especially but to a lesser extent globally the Chinese are rapidly becoming the most numerous visitors. If you are new to backpacking the best plan would probably be to initially head to Thailand, which is totally geared up to backpackers. India is quite a bit more challenging and many find it too much of a culture shock, but just about everyone has a ball in Thailand. The prices are reasonable, it all looks exotic, the food is maybe the best in the world, and there are so many others doing the same sort of thing its impossible to feel lost or isolated. The prices though they have increased over the years are still amongst the best value for money in the world. Once you get your bearings you can then do a little circuit of South East Asia in search of something a little more exotic. Australia obviously has some great things to see but the prices are at European levels and people always blow through their money quicker than expected.

Scroll to top
Annons: